Logo Ver sur Mer
Logo Ver-sur-Mer Print

The church of St Martin



You walk into a church in the late eleventh century (redesigned especially in the nineteenth century) which depended on the chapter of the cathedral until the Revolution .

church

The entrance (1) is surmounted by a stone platform covered with wood and divided into three areas : a central entrance vestibule and two side parts each having a staircase.

The Tribune, which was a nice overview of the nave and choir, features :

A bas-relief representing, according to legend, Saint Gerbold reaching England in seventh century, neck chained to a millstone. This millstone floated miraculously to Ver-sur-Mer. He became bishop of Bayeux 687.

Two statues of the nineteenth century : south, Saint Martin, north, Saint Gerbold.

Two altar paintings are in the early nineteenth century, one represents Resurrection (copying work of Carl Van Loo engraved 1755) and the other Agony of Christ.

In the nave, on either side of the inlet, two stone confessionals that were once joined to the facade were replaced on the front of the rostrum.

The baptismal font dating from the nineteenth century and the font are veined marble.

The disaster 6 June 1944, The church was rebuilt in part with the help of Americans, to commemorate the landing of Byrd. You will see the black and white tiles, checkerboard evoking the parish property of the building in the modern era, while large white tiles and slabs reveal the small black monastic property.

All around the nave, the Way of the Cross (2) represents the cycle of the Passion (oil painting on canvas – late nineteenth century). A model of four-masted ship, the “Stella Maris” (street name seafarers home or stopover for sailors) was provided by two marine Newfoundland as a votive offering (1936).

nefThe ten windows of the nave (1948-59) are signed to G. Answer, master glassmaker in Bayeux.
Find by observing

  • Saint Gerbold arriving on the bay
  • St. Therese of Lisieux Bay
  • Resurrection of St. Lazare Bay
  • Blessed Poulain Delaunay Bay
  • Le Sermon on the Montagne (Christ and fish)
  • Jesus in the Temple (action pastorale : the teaching and practice Christ blesses the children)
  • Jésus et Marie-Madeleine
  • Death of St. Martin
  • Saint Martin and the Leper
  • Supper with Simon (rite of purification).

L'arc triomphal (3) is painted from the late nineteenth century four scenes depicted Calvary, the Passion, the Holy Women at the Tomb, Apparition Madeleine.

The Lady Chapel (4) nineteenth century, located in the south transept, is furnished with an altar of the twentieth century. The altarpiece oak and white marble tabernacle of the eighteenth century are framed by Ionic columns and topped with flower garlands and fire pots (torches plaster or stone).
St. Joseph's Chapel fourteenth century (5) located in the north arm, has a secondary altar topped by a statue of Saint Joseph (Nineteenth century) and an altarpiece of the eighteenth century topped with Corinthian pilasters and fire pots.
vitrail2At the crossing (6), all with two stools and a chair to celebrate Dante's form of the nineteenth century and the bells (bronze).

The choir (7) has two windows of Sagot signed in 1933 and 1934:
Annunciation with God the Father, David et Hãîé
Marriage of the Virgin with Saint Joseph (an appearance, the door of a city, a fortified tower, the tables of the law, a seven-branched candelabrum).
In the center : the Sacred Heart ruling the nations, window offered by the American family Dewey during the reconstruction, wishing for peace between nations. Note the American and French crests top of the window.

The imposing veined marble tabernacle is closed with a bronze door adorned with a mystical lamb and stars.

At the bottom of the choir, a Charity of St. Martin (equestrian statue of the fifteenth century) St. Martin still appears soldier and catechumen sharing his cloak with a beggar.

The entire altar dating from XVIlle century was dismantled during the work of post-war. It remains paneling (partially reassembled in the sacristy).
The west side (8) was revised. The porch triple arches, the tympanum decorated with a bas-relief “Charity of St. Martin”, is crowned with two arches and a skylight in the front facade. La nef, revised in 1865, spans three courses span the foundations of the old nave of the eleventh century one ship and unit spike (stones fishbone).

The magnificent campanile (tour clocher) the eleventh century (9) is isolated from the rest of the building in the Italian manner.
The choir of the twelfth century (10) has on its south wall of strange windows sheltering reminders, relics and votive carved beads. An urn is embedded in the wall of the south chapel choir. The wall is pierced by twin lancets simple and recent.
La sacristie (11), built 1842, is attached to the flat bed. 11 The north chapel dates from the fourteenth century.
Grimacing heads, crossbones, chat, barrel emphasize the entablature or cornice with their monstrous figure.

The bell tower
If a church was the setting of the divine presence, it was also the show. All orders outside the sanctuary competed for this purpose.
But what pleased the beginning of the second millennium, it was the conquest of the sky with towers and steeples. It was a great rivalry. Huge figures should catch the eye of the traveler as the laborers in the countryside. By them, God reminded the attention of Christians.

Not far from the dungeon, the tower wore the pride of the village community.
Here is a huge quadrangular bell tower of the late twelfth century, provided a staircase from the fifteenth century. Separated from the rest of the building, it is pierced by many holes bearers to the delight of pigeons. These holes are also known traces of scaffolding “jars dovecote”. The elapse between each one bearing scaffolding gap is a man's height.
The tower has five floors, the last three, recessed relative to the other, give the building its original profile and tapered. It most commonly found in Bessin, three-storey towers built in the center of the church. The two lower floors are massive.
The base is decorated with flat buttresses and the first floor of a gallery of blind arcades, ornament identical to Saint-Loup Off, Saint-André de Vierville, St. Peter Huppain and many other places still Bessin.
The top three floors repeat the same arrangement of arched windows twin by a central column with geometric decoration. The cover is a pyramid stone (coronation same Thaon). Like most tricks, decoration and openings rise from floor to floor.


Ver-sur-mer | https://www.versurmer.fr
Site creation : WebocubeWebocube, design and communication agency in Caen